Anti-Bias Education Standards
Drawing inspiration from the Tolerance organization (tolerance.org), anti- bias education promotes practical strategies for creating a space where academic and social-emotional goals are accomplished simultaneously. Teachers will provide culturally responsive pedagogy and encourage anti-bias values in everyday life by
- building and drawing on intergroup awareness, understanding and skills;
- creating classroom environments that reflect diversity, equity and justice;
- engaging families and communities in ways that are meaningful and culturally competent;
- encouraging students to speak out against bias and injustice;
- including anti-bias curricula as part of larger individual, school and community action;
- supporting students’ identities and making it safe for them to fully be - themselves;
- using instructional strategies that support diverse learning styles and allow for deep exploration of anti-bias themes.
This will be accomplished through; Instruction, Classroom Culture, Family and Community Engagement, and Teacher Leadership. The TCUSD is committed to providing a learning environment that values the whole child and promotes visibility, inclusion, acceptance and accountability.