Our District has developed a Wellness Policy that is focused on improving the health of students. The policy was developed by a Wellness Committee that includes teachers, parents, administrators, and the district nurse.
Sharing the Message of Wellness
One of our goals is to share the message of nutrition and wellness via our department's Web site that emphasizes the importance of nutrition AND fitness. Our site provides information on the nutrition and fitness for teachers, parents, and students, as well as, a variety of learning tools.
Key Areas of our Wellness Policy
Balance is essential for any Wellness Policy. Key areas include:
- Nutrition Education
- Physical activity
- Other school-based activities that are designed to promote student wellness.
What are the Roles and Responsibilities of a School Wellness Committee?
The school wellness committee is an action-oriented group that makes the implementation of the district wellness policy and other health-related priorities possible.
The SWC will:
- Support the school in developing a healthier school environment
- Create the vision and goals for the local Healthy Schools Program
- Assist with policy development or revision to support a healthy school environment
- Promote parent, community, and professional involvement in developing a healthier school environment
- Advocate for school health programs and policies within the broader school community
- Tap into funding and leverage resources for student and staff wellness
- Plan and implement programs for students and staff
- Evaluate program and policy efforts
- Provide feedback to the district regularly regarding progress on the implementation of the local wellness policy
The SWC will address the following components:
- Nutrition education and promotion activities
- Physical activity opportunities
- Nutrition standards for all foods and beverages available on each school campus during the school day that meet or exceed the USDA's requirements for school meals and competitive foods and beverages
- Marketing and advertising of only those foods and beverages that meet the USDA Smart Snacks in School nutrition standards on school campus
- Other school-based activities that promote student wellness
- Permit parents, students, representatives of the school food authority, teachers of physical education,school health professionals, the school board, school administrators, and the general public to participate in the development, implementation, and review and update of the local wellness policy.
- Regular reporting on content and implementation to the public (including parents, students, and community members)
- Periodic measurement of school compliance with the local wellness policy and progress updates made available to the public
- Designation of a lead school official to ensure compliance with local wellness policy.
TCUSD Wellness Committee Meetings
All meetings are held at the District Office Conference Room A on the last Tuesday of every other month from 3pm-4pm.
2020-2021 Dates Coming soon
All parents, staff and community are welcome to attend.